White Truffle and Black Truffle

TRUFFLE IS THE COMMON NAME THAT IS GIVEN TO THE IPOGEI MUSHROOMS, BELONGING TO THE KIND TUBER AND CONSEQUENTLY TO THE FAMILY TUBERACEAE, CLASS OF THE ASCOMICETI.

Being a hypogeal mushroom, the truffle grows and ripens in the ground below the roots of some types of trees, especially oaks and holm oaks with which the fungus establishes a symbiotic relationship, called mycorrhiza, through which the truffles produce the precious sporocarp. They consist of an outer wall called peridium, which can be smooth or sculpted and of a variable color from light to dark. The inner part, however, is called gleba and its color varies from white to black or pink to brown. On its surface there are more or less broad veins that delimit the alveoli, in which are embedded large cells (the aschi) containing the spores. The conformation of the peridium, the glebe, the aschi and the spores makes it possible to recognize and identify the type of truffle.
For 80% of its mass, the truffle is made of water, while the remaining 20% ​​of ash, total nitrogen, non-protein nitrogen, proteins, lipids, soluble carbohydrates and dietary fiber. For its conservation it is advisable to wrap it in absorbent paper, place it inside a plastic or glass container and store it in the lower part of the refrigerator (0/4 ° C) up to a maximum of 2/3 days. If you want to use it over this time we recommend freezing. Consumed in a moderate way it favors the digestion, it has only 31 Kcal per 100 grams and is considered a food with aphrodisiac properties.

Precious Black Truffle

Although you indicate the white truffle as the most prized, there are many to prefer the black truffle that with its exquisite taste is also called sweet black. The gleba is black-brown tending to violet or reddish, with thick and thin whitish veins and with well-defined contours, accompanied by two translucent brown bands on the sides, the surface presents pyramidal warts and reddish hues.

White truffle

The white truffle, or better known as the white truffle of Alba, is certainly the most precious truffle variety both from an economic and gastronomic point of view. The gleba is unmistakable, it is white and yellow-greyish with very small white veins. The surface is smooth ocher yellow or olive-yellow, sometimes also greenish-gray.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+